Smart & Sustainable, Green Garden Design, Coaching & Seasonal Maintenance


Saturday, March 17, 2012

Happy St. Paddy's Day

Good morning! It's a great day to be Irish!

When I was a young girl, my mother had a dance studio. She had recitals (with the occasional "guest vocalist" - ahem) and this is one of the songs I remember singing. The shamrock of the song has many forms, but all of them, according to my Sunset Western Garden Book, are likely to become weeds. And if weeds they are, so be it...and perhaps it speaks well of us Irish transplants...that we're so willing to grow and so crafty in our charm that we thrive like weeds, and have songs written about us.

I'm looking over a four-leaf clover, that I overlooked before.
One leaf is sunshine, the other is rain,
third is the roses that bloom in the lane.
No use explaining, the one remaining, is somebody I adore.
I'm looking over a four-leaf clover, that I overlooked before.


- Words by Mort Dixon, music by Harry Woods
(Written in 1927 - popularized in 1948 by Art Mooney)

No comments:

Post a Comment