Smart & Sustainable, Green Garden Design, Coaching & Seasonal Maintenance


Monday, June 14, 2010

About Town with Geno's Garden - Antiques in the Garden

Antiques make a great focal point!

antique angel

I love going to the Antique Trove in Roseville. In addition to the huge indoor area, there's a garden section in the back with columns, angels, pots, seating, fountains. I find it all rather evocative and inspiring.

one of a pair of old rusted gates

I used this gate in my garden display at the recent California Flower & Garden Show. It provided a bit of an enclosure for a sitting area with citrus. In this case it wasn't a focal point, but somehow created a bit of dimension that made the ordinary quite remarkable. Wouldn't it make a lovely trellis for a climbing rose?

millstones

I've often seen millstone bubbler fountains advertised in gardening magazines and wondered where they got the millstones. These were in Riley's Antiques, a vendor at the Trove (he loaned me the Spanish bed for my display!).

antique fountain with succulents

High Hand Nursery in Loomis is a master at mixing plants with antiques, making wonderful use of old trucks, stoves or sweet fountains like the one above.


antique fountain

Isn't this little boy lovely? He's mine! He sits on my patio and currently has succulents growing in the basin. He was in the back section of a client's garden, neglected and sort of just there, like an old wheelbarrow or broken ladder. I traded some services for him. I feel lucky to have him, and appreciative that the owner was willing to let him come to my house.

For me it's a happy garden combination, plants and antiques. I don't quite know how to describe it but it works!


Whether you need garden design, coaching, seasonal maintenance or planting, Geno's Garden can help!
Call me at (916) 764-5243, or email hansonja@aol.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment