Smart & Sustainable, Green Garden Design, Coaching & Seasonal Maintenance


Sunday, November 17, 2013

Garden Adventures: Golden Gate Park Conservatory of Flowers


The Conservatory's website has a great history detailed on it, and I realize in writing this that many of the dates coincide with my parents and grandparents lives. The Conservatory was opened to the public in 1897. My mom's maternal parents came to San Francisco from Ireland in the 1860's. Her father migrated from Ontario at the end of the century. My dad's parents came to San Francisco in 1906 after the earthquake to help rebuild the city. My mom's parents lived in the park tent cities after the disaster.  Did they all visit? I'm sure. They lived in neighborhoods adjacent to the park. My family, like the Conservatory, survived!
From this history: The Conservatory of Flowers has captivated guests for more than a century. This gem of Victorian architecture has had a long and storied history, and is the oldest wood and glass conservatory in North America. As a city, state and national historic landmark, the Conservatory remains one of the most beloved attractions in Golden Gate Park.

Although the building appears very large from the outside, from the inside it is spacious and airy and actually limited in its displays.


A sign in the conservatory


I believe this is a pitcher plant.



another sign



An artist rendition of a lily pod hangs in the air above a pool and the collection of carnivorous (and/or tropical) plants. It's humid and healthy in this room. If you wanted to grow these kind of plants, you'd have to replicate these conditions.


 Our official 6th Annual (and my first) Garden Bloggers Fling

To find out more about the Conservatory's history, click here!

Whether you need garden design, coac
hing, seasonal maintenance or planting, Geno's Garden can help! 
Call me at (916) 764-5243, or email hansonja@aol.com.

2 comments:

  1. Jeannie, We must be sympathetically linked, as I'm just looking at a "conservatories" post for this windy, wet day, too. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a special connection you must feel to the Conservatory and Golden Gate Park, Jeannie. Thank you for reminding me what a lovely, hot visit it was there - perfect for warming up the cool wet days of autumn in the PNW.

    ReplyDelete