Smart & Sustainable, Green Garden Design, Coaching & Seasonal Maintenance


Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Green Gardener: Vegetarian Thanksgiving - Go Green!

Ryder Green's Pumpkin HarvestIn Truth, I love turkey, and will be eating it. and loving it. However, I also love my family and I have a couple of veg-o daughters (the other's a bacon-lov'n girl like her dad), so I've been working on expanding my holiday repertoire. And, oh boy, I've been successful. I have three recipes that are hits for all camps. They just taste good. Plus, all three have used produce from my CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) box. These recipes are going to be the subject of my blog posts thru Wednesday.

The first is a recipe I got a year ago from Joey, the self-proclaimed, "Ho-Hum Housewife." Her blog is filled with rich nature photos, poetry and great food. I'll whet your appetite with the ingredients, but you'll need to head over to Joey's for the instructions! Warning, her blog is addicting!

GINGER PUMPKIN, CRANBERRIES and APPLES
4 cups peeled and 1-inch cubed fresh pumpkin or squash (I used butternut squash)
1 quart water
4 cups cored and 1-inch cubed Granny Smith apples
3 Tbsp. dried cranberries
1/3 cup unsalted butter
2 oz. Cointreau
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh ginger (1 tsp. ground)
additional unsalted butter for serving
(I added a 1/2 cup of walnuts, lightly chopped for added protein, and found it added a welcomed crunch.)

Tomorrow's recipe, Whole-Wheat Spaghetti with Gorgonzola and Escarole. (Really, yummy...)


Whether you need garden design, coaching, seasonal maintenance or planting, Geno's Garden can help! Call me at (916) 764-5243, or email hansonja@aol.com. For more information on our services, click here.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Jeannie, enjoy, & Happy Thanksgiving :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:43 PM

    Dear Author genosgarden.blogspot.com !
    You have hit the mark. Thought excellent, I support.

    ReplyDelete